Knight's henchies

Open Game Discussions such as, classes, races, and so on. Do not use this forum to attack or demean the shard, the staff or players. Be respectful to one another.

Moderators: Buri, Lady Skadi, Lord Uller, Lord Odin, hugin, Ve, Valhalla Staff

Kalon

Knight's henchies

Post by Kalon » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:24 am

So I've been playing the knight for awhile now and noticed the henchies seem to be very buggy. Its been extremely frustrating trying to use them today. I'll have them following me, and suddenly they will just stop and stand there. Sometimes one follow command will get there attention, sometimes it takes like five. I tried hunting some stronger dragons with them today, and half the time they wouldn't even attack the monster or defend me when I told them to guard. They seem to like to stand there saying "ok" while ignoring the monsters. I've tried the All kill command and the "name" kill, sometimes they attack, sometimes they ignore me and sometimes the answer and then run in a circle. Once I die the monster will target the henchie and it will then defend itself, sometimes both will fight back but its usually one. I also noticed when in "guard mode" sometimes they will loot and sometimes they won't. It makes it kind of annoying to use the henchies when they are so unreliable.
Since I'm on the forums, I was also wondering if Knights have the 45% damage reduction enabled as per the wiki.
cheers

Allanon

Re: Knight's henchies

Post by Allanon » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:36 am

Been using henchies for years here and haven't had too many issues.
If you die / nap then it is usually only the henchie taking the agro which will continue fighting.
Think that has always been the case. The other henchie will start to fight when it becomes the target of the mob.
Usually use the all attack command, which they can ignore if they are already attacking another mob. All follow me and then all attack usually fixes that.
No issues with all follow me, they always obey that.
If they are in a situation where they can't reach the mob they will sometimes issue an aiiiieeeeee and run off a bit and stand there until you call them back. But that is rare, just need to ensure they can reach the mob.

After all the recent changes the henchies are exceptionally handy.

Kalon

Post by Kalon » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:32 pm

I agree they are very handy and I enjoy using them. Sometimes they listen to me perfectly, while other times they go into full spaz mode. I just find it frustrating when they continue to ignore me and I end up dying. I noticed sometimes reloging will fix the issue, maybe its something to do with them queing commands. Yesterday was a bad day for me, I d/c twice while trying to use them to hunt as I refused to stop while they were bugging out. So far the Knight is my favorite class.

*Edit- One thing I forgot to mention is my UO client randomly crashes sometimes while playing as a Knight. I've had it happen on a Pc and two laptops, seems to be when I issue a command but its not constant. Anyone else have this happen?

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:58 am

Another possibility is that they lose sight of you.
If I knock back an invisibility potion they will stop fighting because they can't find me.
Or try hide mode, same effect I'm not there so they will not follow orders.

Best way to use the henchies is stand with them and fight and get them to heal you if necessary - although they will not heal you if they are taking damage. Area effects upset the balance, but on non magic users I usually taunt the mob and have them heal me if necessary. Alternative is to set them on the mob and heal them as required.