Taming

Open Game Discussions such as, classes, races, and so on. Do not use this forum to attack or demean the shard, the staff or players. Be respectful to one another.

Moderators: Buri, Lady Skadi, Lord Uller, Lord Odin, hugin, Ve, Valhalla Staff

Ali Peterson

Taming

Post by Ali Peterson » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:40 pm

I have a fey tamer and am having a lot of difficulty understanding taming here on Valhalla. Are there any tamers out there willing to help me a bit. My character's name is Torella Reya.

Here are a few of the questions/concerns I have:

Tore tamed a royal dragon. The dragon uses area spells, so when hunting with a group, injuries friends along with enemies.

When I use guard me, my pet guards me but does not attack when I am attacked.

What skill do I train to "calm" the beast I am trying to tame?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Allanon

Re: Taming

Post by Allanon » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:52 am

I'm not a tamer but Veterinary Skill supposedly allows you less chance of angering the creature.

Ali Peterson

Post by Ali Peterson » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:42 pm

Thank you for your feedback.

Haldir Quindiniar

Post by Haldir Quindiniar » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:38 am

Tore tamed a royal dragon. The dragon uses area spells, so when hunting with a group, injuries friends along with enemies.
As far as I know this will always be the case, you're best of not bringing any, or at least keeping it limited, AOE animals or spells to events or hunts with friends. Unless you are good at keeping them far away from other players.

When I use guard me, my pet guards me but does not attack when I am attacked.
You need to say "all guard me" or the name "john guard me" for only 1 animal/henchman.

What skill do I train to "calm" the beast I am trying to tame?
As Allanon said, Veterinary makes it less likely to get angry.

You can always use the wiki btw, it has most info on there. http://wiki.valhallalost.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Ali Peterson

Post by Ali Peterson » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:26 am

Thank you for your feedback.

I do read the wiki but have not always found it helpful, especially regarding taming. With battle plans, a menu does not come up giving me options. One of the plans, #3, stops the use of fire breathing, but that weakens the dragon's fighting abilities.

I am disappointed as a tamer that my dragon's area spells attack the players I am with. Not sure what good a dragon is that does that. I guess that means giants' spells will also attack friends.

Back to the drawing board with this character ...

Lady Lia Muiri

Post by Lady Lia Muiri » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:44 pm

As a long established tamer myself, I have found dragons to be one of the least useful creatures to bring along with me during hunts (whether they be group or solo hunts). Not only do they have the downside of quite painful area attacks, they are also quite stubborn. Sometimes they get a bit malicious and focus on a single enemy, chasing after them when they flee. Since dragons are so large and can travel a large distance quite quickly, I often have to suspend my hunt to chase after my dragons, ordering them numerous times to forget about the cowardly enemy and return to my side. When buffs are timed, spending a large portion of your hunting time trying to reel in your pets is NOT what you want to be doing.

When hunting, I've found that one of the largest benefits of taming is the ability to tame many of the creatures that are attacking you. Instead of bringing along your own pets, you can tame some of the ones you come across and use them against their own friends. This not only increases your battle power but also cuts down the number of things that are attacking you in large mobs. Of course, it doesn't work with all creatures as they're not all tameable... just something to keep in mind.

Lots of different creatures have a stubborn side, so be prepared to say 'all guard me' or 'all kill' or 'all follow me' numerous times when you have creatures under your care. They often get distracted by being out and about and forget what they're supposed to be doing. Maybe a bit of their wild side is coming out again? A quick reminder is often all that is needed.

The others are right in saying that veterinary skill will decrease the number of times that you will anger the beast. But sometimes even with a high skill in veterinary, high intelligence creatures will still be slightly irked when you want to put a leash on them. Wouldn't you be a little put off if someone tried to tame you? You simply have to heal your wounds and keep trying. Luckily, tamers have fabulous healing skills!

Best of luck with your sweet creatures!

Haldir Quindiniar

Post by Haldir Quindiniar » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:36 pm

I'll resurrect this thread to ask a question regarding taming.

Is there any formula you can use to know how many animals you can control?
For instance: my taming is 83 and I tamed 2 Nightmares. They require 95 taming skill. I could control both of them but after a few minutes one would set free in nature and start attacking me.

So I'm hoping to find out what else I can controle together with a Nightmare without setting one free.
If there is no way to know by using math/numbers/formula's I'll test it somehow.

Perhaps like in my example:
2 x 95 requirement = 190
2 x 83 taming skills = 166
The requirement is too high so one will release?